Why you'll want to consider having an unplugged wedding
What is an Unplugged Wedding?
An unplugged wedding is when guests are asked to refrain from using their phones, cameras or ipads to take photos or videos during the celebration.
Why would I want an unplugged wedding?
- Professional photos will not be compromised
This is a huge point coming from a photographers standpoint. There is nothing worse than going through your beautiful ceremony photos only to see Cindy stretched out into the middle of the aisle with her cell phone. Not only would this help eliminate phones and other electronic devices in your photos but will help with any unnecessary flashes popping into your photographers shot.
2. Guests will pay attention and interact
It takes a lot of planning to decide who you're going to invite to your wedding. Your day is so special and unique to you and your partner so ask yourself... Would I rather people being completely present and engaged in what is going on before them or would I like them posting a photo to instagram and missing our vows or "I do's"?
What if my guests are annoyed that they can't take photos?
First of all, who cares! This is your day and your guests should be able to respect that. But if you're anything like me, I want my guests to be happy and have a great time so here are a few things you can do:
Give guests a take away
Setting up a poleroid centre or hiring a photobooth that gives your guests instant prints is just one way to ensure that they have tangible photos to take home. Another thing to consider is talking to your photographer about setting up a mailing list for the guests so that when the gallery is ready they can access the photos right away.
How do I limit cell phone use?
- Put it right into your invitations. Prepping your guests beforehand will allow them to come prepared and it keeps everyone on the same level from the get go.
- Create signage, but don't worry because I've done it for you! Submit your name and email at the bottom of this post to get two free printables.
- Ask the Officiant/Priest/DJ/MC to announce that there is to be no cell phone or other technology use during the ceremony just before it starts.
With all of that being said, this doesn't mean you can't have a wedding hashtag or that you must have your entire wedding unplugged. There are many people that only set up their ceremony and/or speeches to be technology free. The best part? You get to determine what will be best for your partner and yourself!
Enter your name and email for some free signage!